[flashboot] Named

Yannick Gravel yg at ygunit.net
Thu Aug 24 14:07:21 EST 2006

Rickard Dahlstrand wrote:
>Jakob Schlyter wrote:
>>> What about adding named? I know it's big but it is the last piece to
>>> make flashboot to a complete firewall-solution.

>> I really like that, but we still have the problem the small ramdisk.
>> is there any way we can fix this? it's getting really annoying...

>I guess it's always going to be a trade off between compatibility with
>devices with small memory versus functionality. But as far as I
>understand it there shouldn't be a problem to increase the disksize now
>that DMA is out of the picture. And it has been for some time now, or am
>I wrong?
>
>Rickard.
>
>(I'm adding the list to this discussion as other people possible have
>comments on this issue)

I built a slave/secondary dns server using one of my soekris and flashboot.
In this case the extra disk space was added by creating /etc/rc.init and
adding this line.

mount_mfs -s 4096 swap /var/named/slave

(adjust size to your specific need)

Right now the zones file on this slave would not persist after a reboot, but
the point is that if some extra space is needed there is an other way
than changing
MINIROOTSIZE kernel option and rebuilding. (when you can edit the
rc.init file
and reboot :-)

Cheers

Yannick.