[flashboot] flashboot on Soekris 4826

John Makosky jrm at crackpot.org
Sat Jun 15 23:34:58 EST 2013

Chuck,

It should be possible to PXE boot to a bsd.rd kernel (or maybe directly
to a flashboot kernel?), and then use dd to install a flashboot image to
your flash memory.  Admittedly, I have never tried this.

You could also roll your own very basic boot environment, and transfer a
flashboot kernel, as you've been trying.  More information can be found
at https://github.com/openbsd/flashboot/blob/master/README.md.
https://github.com/openbsd/flashboot/blob/master/build-diskimage.sh is a
nice encapsulation of what you would need to do with your flash device
to make it work, or to roll your own image.

At this point, the image files and kernels on Github are based on
OpenBSD 5.0, and no longer supported.  There has been some activity to
update Flashboot to version 5.3, but it does not seem to be ready, yet.
I have reported a couple bugs, and am waiting for a little help to get
them fixed.  Good luck!

-John