[netflow-tools] Number of active flows raises and raises...

Andreas Brillisauer -- Hetzner Online AG andreas.brillisauer at hetzner.de
Tue Jan 24 04:10:32 EST 2006

Hello,

I want to use softflowd for traffic accounting of a mirrored port. The
amount of traffic is currently about 10,000 packets per second.

I use the following parameters:

---8<-----------------------------------------------------------------
/usr/local/sbin/softflowd -i eth2 -t maxlife=300 -m 1048576 -n
127.0.0.1:9800

I did expect that the number of active flows won't raise mentionably
after the limit of 5 minutes because softflowd has to expire the flows
(see option "-t maxlife=300"). But the number of active flows raises and
raises until the limit of 1048576 is reached. I have no answer for that.
Once the limit of maximum flows is reached softflowd takes 99% of the
CPU.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Andreas