[netflow-tools] [softflowd]about softflowd TODO

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Mar 29 15:01:19 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Guanqun Lu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. What do you mean by "Use strtonum()"? You want to replace "atoi()" with it?

Yes, it is a more simple API and can make the code more readable.

> 2. I'm currently doing some research that is mainly based on the
> performance of softflowd. But it seems that the softflowd can't stand
> up with the heavy flow. My colleague did some hack into the code.
> The diff of file softflowd.c is attached. After doing this, the
> performance does enhance a little. But still, the usage of CPU climbs
> up to 100% as soon as the pps increases to about 13,000.

The diff trades off the time spent in packet processing against the
time spend it managing expiry events, etc.  You might be able to play
with the "expint" timeout to achieve the same effect (without a code
change).

> I'm glad to see that there's a performance part in TODO.
> Performance
>  - Profile and see where the hot spots are
> It seems that it's a CPU intensive task.
>  - Fast "new flow" test using a bloom filter
> You named 'bloom filter', maybe we can have a try.

It is an idea, it may improve things or it may add overhead.

>  - See if we can reduce per-packet overhead more
>    - Cost of expiry remove and re-add per packet
>  - Stop run-time malloc (maybe)
> Why is it necessary? I'm wondering. Will the run-time malloc cost the
> performance?

Malloc is designed to be a good general purpose allocator for objects of
various sizes. For softflowd, we need fast allocations of fixed size
objects and we generally know how many (maximum) we need ahead of time.
It should be able to avoid some of malloc's cost by preallocating the
struct FLOW and struct EXPIRY.

One thing that has a good likelihood of improving performance is to
replace or modify the data structure used to store flows. At present
it is a splay tree, which is fast when matching existing flows that
receive a lot of traffic but slower otherwise (new flows or lots of
quiet flows). Coming up with a good flow hash and replacing the splay
tree with a hash table, or putting a hash table in front of splay trees
is likely to help a lot.

I have changed jobs (several times) since I first wrote softflowd and
no longer have easy access to large quantities of real-world traffic
to test it against. Because of this, I will have to depend more on the
user community to improve softflowd's performance.

Thanks,
Damien