ANNOUNCE: openssh-1.2.1pre22

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Dec 28 15:51:39 EST 1999

I have just uploaded 1.2.1pre22 to:

http://violet.ibs.com.au/openssh/files/

This release consists of portability fixes and cleanups. It also
resolves two issues which may have caused security problems

 - If you OS header files did not define PATH_STDPATH, then an
   unsafe path was used by default (it contained an implicit '.').
   Thanks to Jim Knoble for pointing this out and supplying a fix.

 - PermitEmptyPassword was being ignored for PAM systems.

An upgrade is therefore recommended.

This release also includes Andre Lucas' fixpaths perl script which
will substitute the correct paths into the manpages at install time.

Also included is peliminary Irix support. I have managed to compile
it under Irix 5.2, but was not able to run it (my perl install is
too broken to run EGD). lastlog support is disabled under Irix
because it uses a strange directory based lastlog which I cannot find
documentation on.

I am interested in hearing success or failure stories from users of
Solaris, HPUX, AIX, Irix, NetBSD and older Linux variants.

ChangeLog:

19991228
 - Replacement for getpagesize() for systems which lack it
 - NetBSD login.c compile fix from David Rankin
  <drankin at bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
 - Fully set ut_tv if present in utmp or utmpx
 - Portability fixes for Irix 5.3 (now compiles OK!)
 - autoconf and other misc cleanups

19991227
 - Automatically correct paths in manpages and configuration files. Patch
   and script from Andre Lucas <andre.lucas at dial.pipex.com>
 - Removed credits from README to CREDITS file, updated.
 - Added --with-default-path to specify custom path for server
 - Removed #ifdef trickery from acconfig.h into defines.h
 - PAM bugfix. PermitEmptyPassword was being ignored.
 - Fixed PAM config files to allow empty passwords if server does.
 - Explained spurious PAM auth warning workaround in UPGRADING
 - Use last few chars of tty line as ut_id
 - New SuSE RPM spec file from Chris Saia <csaia at wtower.com>
 - OpenBSD CVS updates:
   - [packet.h auth-rhosts.c]
     check format string for packet_disconnect and packet_send_debug, too
   - [channels.c]
     use packet_get_maxsize for channels. consistence.

19991226
 - Fixed implicit '.' in default path, report from Jim Knoble
   <jmknoble at pobox.com>
 - Redhat RPM spec fixes from Jim Knoble <jmknoble at pobox.com>

Regards,
Damien Miller