Announce: openssh-2.0.0beta1

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue May 2 10:32:56 EST 2000

For the last couple of months, the OpenBSD team has been working hard
to implement the SSH2 protocol in OpenSSH. The SSH2 protcol offers a
number of advantages over the SSH1 protocol including standards
compliance (SSH2 is on the IETF standards track), improved security and
operation without RSA (which is patented in some countries).

This release of the portable version incorporates this work and adds
inbuilt entropy collection for Unices which lack a kernel random
number pool.

Since there is a lot of new and changed code, we are keen to gather
feedback from users of the new features. In particular:

 - SSH2. Please read README.openssh2 and add "Protocol 2,1" to
   your sshd_config and ssh_config.

 - Entropy collection. There is little documentation on this so far.
   If your system lacks both a kernel random pool and EGD, a file
   ssh_prng_cmds will be created. This file contains the commands
   which will be used to seed the random number generator. We are
   interested in additional commands and refinements to the current
   set. Please send in the output of "ssh -v", which includes the
   amounts of entropy gathered.

The beta release is available from
http://violet.ibs.com.au/openssh/files/beta

Note that this release _requires_ OpenSSL 0.9.5 or greater.

Regards,
Damien Miller