scp with openssh on the server side and $PATH.

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Sat Dec 11 04:50:13 EST 1999

Marc.Haber-lists at gmx.de (Marc Haber) writes:

> Hi!
>
> When I try to use scp from or to a machine that runs openssh-1.2pre16
> on Debian Linux, I keep getting the error message "scp: command not
> found". Executing  "ssh this-host echo \$PATH" yields
> "/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:" which might be set in config.h.
>
> sshd is installed to /usr/local/stow/openssh-1.2pre16/sbin, scp to
> /usr/local/stow/openssh-1.2pre16/bin; both programs are then symlinked
> so that they can be found in /usr/local/[s]bin.

I suggest you install the debian package, rather than build it
yourself.  You can grab it thus:

  apt-get install ssh

Then it'll just work (or you get to report a bug to me ;-)

It shouldn't be too long before 1.2pre17 gets into the
non-us.debian.org archive, but if you're desperate, look here:

  http://www.hands.com/~phil/debian/openssh/ssh_1.2pre17-1_i386.deb

Cheers, Phil.