scp with openssh on the server side and $PATH.

Marc Haber Marc.Haber-lists at gmx.de
Sun Dec 26 01:43:58 EST 1999

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999 08:58:33 +1100 (EST), you wrote:
>A possible solution would be to hardcode an explicit path at
>configure time, but this would only work if the client and the
>server were configured the same. I am not keen to include this
>kludge. (a more elegant solution would be welcomed, though).
>
>Have you tried editing your /etc/profile (or similar) and simply
>including the path to scp in there?

scp is in /usr/local/bin/scp and openssh has been configured with
--prefix=/usr/local/bin/.

_PATH_STDPATH is set to
"/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:", but
executing  "ssh this-host echo \$PATH" yields
"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:". I don't have the slightest idea
where that PATH is pulled from. It neither is the PATH set in the
server config nor the one set by /etc/profile on the server side.

Is that path generated at the client side? In that case, I might have
a problem since the client is a windows box with a pre-compiled
ssh/scp binary. Using the non-free ssh on the server side works.

Greetings
Marc