TCP port forwarding troubles?

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.ampr.org
Thu Dec 30 21:22:09 EST 1999

Has anyone heavily exercised the TCP connection forwarding features in
openssh?

I use this feature quite extensively for secure web surfing. I run
a ssh command like this:

ssh -c blowfish -L3128:127.0.0.1:3128 squidmachine

Then I set up Netscape on my local machine to use 127.0.0.1:3128 as a
proxy server. Needless to say, this exercises the TCP connection
forwarding feature quite heavily. This worked quite reliably with ssh
1.2.26, but it seems to hang a lot when I use open SSH.

Before I dig into the problem, has anyone else out there heavily
exercised TCP port forwarding in openssh?

Phil