ssh/openssh and X authentication

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 02:29:37 EST 1999

I've currently got a couple of boxes which obtain their IP address via
DHCP, and as a consequence do not have a mapping in /etc/hosts for
their own IP/name... but helpfully (!) they have their name mapping to
127.0.0.1

This breaks X authentication... - openssh (and also ssh) makes an
apparently valid xauth entry, but all attempts to start clients gives
"X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication."  Hacking the
DISPLAY & xauth entries to use the real IP address of the box, or even
127.0.0.2 works fine, so it appears that something (maybe outside ssh)
is special casing 127.0.0.1

Would it be possible to make sshd use the IP address of the local
socket rather than the hostname to give to xauth?
Alternatively is there some good reason as to why 127.0.0.1 is not
working?

I can do the coding on this - however I want to find out if there is a
good reason for current behaviour before making patches that get
rejected (!).

	Nigel.

[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]