Food for thought regarding PAM

Tor-Ake Fransson torake at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 09:35:59 EST 1999

Despite the fact that i have written pam modules, i am not sure about how it
really works, and how it would work in this case. ;)

I like the idea of modularizing the authentication, though.

But... what happens in the special case where you have to pass some strange
data, like a login context?

Example: DCE on AIX logging in algorithm:

1) authenticate, certify and validate. This gives you a login context
2) from the login context apprehended in 1), extract group information and
set groups
3) throw away the login context apprehended in 1)
3) set uid
4) authenticate with new uid to get a login context. Attach this login
context to the process to get network credentials.
5) set up the environment (kerberos ticket data access is in the
environment)
6) exec() the shell

And even worse, doing an RSA authentication:
1) Somehow transfer your local credentials to the server to enable accessing
the public key (can be done with ugly hack at least, i haven't investigated
further yet -- i know one thing, machine root usually doesn't (and
shouldn't!) automatically have access to user's files)
2) Try RSA authentication
3) set uid while retaining credentials
4) exec() the shell

Unless I suffer from total misconception conception, i think we (at least I)
would end up with plowing down work in a number of pam modules of virtually
no use to the community.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Tor-Åke Fransson