OpenSSH-1.2.3 AIX scp failure

douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com
Mon Apr 17 21:17:34 EST 2000

Hi,

I have successfully compiled the latest UNIX port of OpenSSH under AIX
4.3.3 using both gcc and IBM's C++ compilers.  Under both versions I get
the following error when "UseLogin" is set to "yes" and I attempt an scp:

Executing: host localhost, user me, command scp -v -t test1
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3-G1, protocol version 1.5.             // utmp
patch applied thanks to Gert (same results without patch)
Compiled with SSL.
debug: Reading configuration data /usr/etc/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 500 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug: Allocated local port 945.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version
OpenSSH-1.2.3-G1
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
debug: Forcing accepting of host key for loopback/localhost.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Sent encrypted session key.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
debug: Doing password authentication.
me at localhost's password:
debug: Sending command: scp -v -t test1
debug: Entering interactive session.
TZ=GMT0BST: TZ=GMT0BST: A file or directory in the path name does not
exist.
debug: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 77, stderr 0 bytes in 0.1 seconds
debug: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 918.2, stderr 0.0
debug: Exit status 127
lost connection

If I set UseLogin to "no" the error goes and scp works faultlessly.  Looks
to be a problem initializing the environment.  Changing my shell from Bash
to ksh or bsh results in a stall right after the "Entering interactive
session."

SSH works perfectly -- I can't wait to see protocol 2 integrated!

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

 Doug Manton, AT&T Global Network Services - Firewall and Security
Solutions