OpenSSH and Xauth

Thomas Rasmussen simpsons at kom.auc.dk
Wed Apr 26 01:23:47 EST 2000

Hi...

I have tumpled over quite a big problem on my machine. I'm running
Debian Potato with OpenSSH-1.2.3 protocol 1.5 installed from the
debian packages. When I ssh from any computer (including my own) then
I can't get any programs to display X. I have turned ForwardAgent and
ForwardX11 on in my ssh_config. When I turn on debugging this is what
I get:

17:14 simpsons at lada% ssh -v bart.aalk                                         ~
SSH Version 1.2.26 [sparc-sun-solaris2.6], protocol version 1.5.
Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.
lada: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
lada: ssh_connect: getuid 43750 geteuid 0 anon 0
lada: Connecting to bart.aalk [192.168.74.133] port 22.
lada: Allocated local port 1017.
lada: Connection established.
lada: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version OpenSSH-1.2.2
lada: Waiting for server public key.
lada: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
lada: Host 'bart.aalk' is known and matches the host key.
lada: Initializing random; seed file /afs/ies.auc.dk/user/simpsons/.ssh/random_seed
lada: IDEA not supported, using 3des instead.
lada: Encryption type: 3des
lada: Sent encrypted session key.
lada: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
lada: Received encrypted confirmation.
lada: No agent.
lada: Trying RSA authentication with key 'simpsons at bart'
lada: Server refused our key.
lada: Doing password authentication.
simpsons at bart.aalk's password:
lada: Requesting pty.
lada: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
lada: Requesting shell.
lada: Entering interactive session.
Last login: Tue Apr 25 16:48:44 2000 from bart on pts/6

But when trying to execute any X program I get this:
17:15 simpsons at bart% xlogo                                                    ~
lada: Received X11 open request.
lada: Allocated channel 0 of type 9.
lada: Sending open confirmation to the remote host.
lada: X11 connection uses different authentication protocol: 'MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1' vs. ''.
X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication at Tue Apr 25 17:15:34 2000.
Rejected connection at Tue Apr 25 17:15:34 2000: X11 connection from bart port 1169

lada: Channel 0 closes incoming data stream.
lada: Channel 0 closes outgoing data stream.
lada: Channel 0 sends oclosed.
lada: Channel 0 sends ieof.
lada: Channel 0 receives input eof.
lada: X problem fix: close the other direction.
lada: Channel 0 receives output closed.
lada: Channel 0 terminates.
X connection to bart:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

And this is something I don't understand!

I use exactly the same version of Openssh on another machine which is
also a debian machine without any problems. The only difference in
these two, are that the one I'm having problems with is running Xfree
4.0 and the other is running Xfree 3.3.6, otherwise they are
practically identical!

Someone please help....

Thanks
Thomas

--
KOM Network student helper

"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!"
-- Homer Simpson