openssh 2.1.1p4-1: port number data in known_hosts: suggestion

E. Jay Berkenbilt ejb at ql.org
Mon Aug 7 11:24:04 EST 2000

>   Do people think this is an idea worth implementing?  Does someone know
>   of some other way to achieve my desired functionality under the
>   existing implementation?  I know I could do this using ProxyCommand by
>   having some program that copies stdin <-> host/port, but that
>   unfortunately requires the extra overhead of an external program
>   passing all the data in both directions...

To answer my own question, I figured out a way to achieve my
goal....  I added (lines like) the following to /etc/ssh/ssh_config or
~/.ssh/config on hosts outside the firewall

Host inside1
HostName name.of.my.firewall
Port 221
UserKnownHostsFile ~/.ssh/inside1

Host inside2
HostName name.of.my.firewall
Port 222
UserKnownHostsFile ~/.ssh/inside2

Then ssh inside1 and ssh inside2 use different known_hosts files and I
don't have a problem.  I can also not put those lines on the machines
inside the firewall so I can use identical configurations
everywhere.....

I still think my suggested fix is a reasonable idea, but my incentive
to implement it has mostly disappeared. :-)

--
E. Jay Berkenbilt (ejb at ql.org)  |  http://www.ql.org/q/