UseLogin yes and 'w': IP address used

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Aug 9 04:10:52 EST 2000

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Damien Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Pekka Savola wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just noticed that if I enable UseLogin, IP address will be shown in 'w'
> > when logging on.  If UseLogin is disabled, the hostname will be used.
> >
> > I tested this on 2.1.1p2 and p4, on home-grown Redhat Linux 6.2.
> >
> > Anyone else notice this?  Is this an issue with OpenSSH or login?
>
> The problem is most likely with login. OpenSSH tries to fill out
> all fields in utmp, and will store both remote hostname and IP address
> if your struct utmp supports them (RH does).

The same thing happens with login in FreeBSD-4.1 -STABLE.  I doubt it's
login (at least mostly).

There are actually two problems here, I think.  'w' showing the IP address
and logins getting double recorded.

In RHL 6.2 you get:
---
esa      pts/1        x.y.z.159   Thu Jul 20 07:56   still logged in
esa      pts/1        host.domain Thu Jul 20 07:56 - 07:56  (00:00)
---
(this dummy session doesn't look good in you lastlog :)

In FreeBSD-4.1-STABLE you get:
---
ow   ttypb    x.y.z.1           Tue Aug  8 21:00   still logged in
ow   ttypb    host.domain       Tue Aug  8 21:00   still logged in
---
Also, if you use 'UseLogin yes', lastlog will not be cleaned when you log
out (I was on for 1 minute):
---
ow   ttypb    193.94.160.1     Tue Aug  8 21:00 - 21:01 (00:00)
ow   ttypb    host.domain      Tue Aug  8 21:00   still logged in
---
(but this, lingering session looks even worse)

HTH.

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"