OpenSSH-2.1.1p4 and SuSE 6.4

Daniel T. Chen chenda at cs.unc.edu
Sun Aug 13 09:49:16 EST 2000

Hi folks,
	I meant to send this in to the devel list a while ago (1 Jul,
actually) but school has until recently had a strangehold on me.  The
issue is this:  the sshd.pam.generic in the openssh-2.1.1p4/contrib
directory can be modified to suit standard SuSE 6.4 configurations as
thus:

{crimsun@[dhcp1520]:~} diff -c /etc/pam.d/sshd
openssh-2.1.1p4/contrib/sshd.pam.generic
*** /etc/pam.d/sshd     Sat Jul  1 19:52:23 2000
--- openssh-2.1.1p4/contrib/sshd.pam.generic    Tue Mar 14 20:25:06 2000
***************
*** 1,8 ****
  #%PAM-1.0
! auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so shadow nodelay
  auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
! account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so
  password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
! password   required     /lib/security/pam_unix_passwd.so shadow
use_authtok
! session    required     /lib/security/pam_unix_session.so
  session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so
--- 1,8 ----
  #%PAM-1.0
! auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so shadow nodelay
  auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
! account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
  password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
! password   required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so shadow nullok
use_authtok
! session    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
  session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so

Sorry if the formatting makes things unclear.  The sshd.pam.generic
included in the 2.1.1p4 tarball is adequately functional on stock SuSE 6.4
systems but does not log to syslog via PRIORITY when a sshd session has
been closed.  The changes above rectify that.  (Note:  I've taken the
liberty of disallowing null passwords for my machine.)  This is a SuSE
Linux-specific diff, but I thought I'd let everyone know just in case
someone had run across it and was scratching his/her head.  :)

dtc

---
Daniel T. Chen
crimsun at adirondack.masticators.org