slow sparc questions

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Aug 16 08:47:52 EST 2000

I'll double check things with DNS, but I'm not convinced, yet.  :-) [several
hours pass]

Ok, I got back to check on things, DNS is properly configured, things
haven't changed.  Which end of the connection were you talking about doing a
reverse lookup, the server (SPARCstation2) or the client (some other
machine)?  My SS2 should have been able to handle lookups fine, I had hosts
properly configured.  I've added the SS2 to my DNS server, but that hasn't
made any difference.

Drifting off-topic slightly, here are some SPEC numbers from relative
machine machines.

System   CPU  BUS  Cache  SPECint  SPECfp  Info
         Mhz  Mhz  Int/   92       92      Date
                   Ext
SS2      40   20   64     21.8     22.8    Oct92
Intel    50   50   8/256  30.1     14.0    Oct92
486DX
Intel    66   33   8/256  32.4     16.1    Sep92
486DX2
Pentium  60   60   8/256  70.4     55.1    Mar95

I've got an SS2, and a 486DX 50.  Somehow, it doesn't seem that there is
that big of a difference.  However, just for reference, I've used the P60
systems, and compared them with similar 486 DX2 66 systems, and the 486's
"felt" faster.

> I have not recently tried an install of openssh/openssl (I
> thought I filed a private bugreport with Damien, but don't
> have a copy on the host I am at) -- it died during compile
> perhaps 6 months ago -- I'll retry and run some time trials.

Hmm, I don't compile things on my SS2, instead I use my dual proc SS20.
There is a patch for the RPM that makes it work properly on S/Linux, but I
don't know if that was your test platform or not.  Thanks,
	Greg