Test snapshot

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Thu Aug 24 21:54:28 EST 2000

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 04:57:01PM -0700, Stuart Craig wrote:
> Attached to this message is a patch I made against 2.1.1p4 for HP-UX
> which causes sshd to set the PATH variable from /etc/PATH.  This is the
> usual practice under HP-UX 10.20 and HP-UX 11.  I activated the patch by
> calling configure like so:
>
> ./configure --with-cflags=-DHAVE_ETC_PATH ...
>
> This should be done in configure instead, but I haven't installed
> autoconf.

/etc/PATH is read by /etc/csh.login or /etc/profile, respectively.
My (may be personal) problem is that I only have the "system PATH"
as automatically be set during swinstall processes in /etc/PATH,
my additional settings are in /usr/local/etc/PATH which is sourced
later from my (changed) /etc/csh.login or /etc/profile files.
(And, of course, /usr/local/openssh/bin is on /usr/local/etc/PATH :-)
[This solution is easier to maintain as I have a common /usr/local that
is distributed via rdist (over ssh, of course :-), while /etc/PATH can
be different for the individual hosts with respect to the installed software.]

That won't hurt anybody, if (there is always an if :-) your patch would
not overwrite the PATH that was compiled in by setting the
"--with-default-path=..." switch.
Do you think it would be appropriate to concatenate the default path compiled
in _and_ /etc/PATH? Probably we would get doubled entries.

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/