Control-c not work under openssh?

John Horne J.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Aug 25 19:22:28 EST 2000

On 24-Aug-00 at 16:04:37 Garrick James wrote:
> I've noticed something interesting, though.  The presence of the bug's
> symptom is dependant on the state of control-c functionality at the time
> that sshd is started on the server.  If control-c is working in the
> controlling terminal from which sshd is started, then control-c will work
> in all client connections.  If control-c is not working at server daemon
> startup time, then clients do not get a working control-c.

Interesting. However, I start sshd via an /etc/init.d file and for testing
connect to the system using a telnet session. Control-c works with telnet. I
assume then that starting the sshd daemon from the telnet session (using the
/etc/init.d file) will likewise have control-c working by default. However,
using slogin to the system control-c still doesn't work. In that respect,
your scenario would seem to be wrong (but see below before desparing...:-) )

On 24-Aug-00 at 20:01:13 Gert Doering wrote:
> Next try....  "pty.c", function "pty_make_controlling_tty" (about line
> 201) is a better bet.  Just insert the "signal( SIGINT, SIG_DFL);" line at
> the end of the function, right after:

[snipped]

> /* NEW: set ctrl-C signal to "default", which is "abort program" */
>       sinal( SIGINT, SIG_DFL );
        ^^^^^
should be 'signal' :-)

Yup, I put this in pty.c after line 261.

I have tested this with Solaris 7 and Solaris 8 (on sparc systems) and it
works fine :-) :-) I also used the new snapshot (openssh-SNAP-20000823) for
the tests, so hopefully it could be included for the next release.

Many thanks to both Garrick James and Gert Doering for what seems to be a
fix for this annoying problem!

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk