PTY-Allocation under SCO 5

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Aug 30 19:23:45 EST 2000

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 09:50:12AM +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> > 	I've tested the patch on SCO Openserver 5.0.5 and so far it works
> > great! This fixed my pty problem.
> > 	One thing I noticed is that num_ptys turns out to be 832. A
> > standard SCO install gives you 64 ptys, though most admins up this as is
> > the case on the server I have been testing on, which has 1055 ptys. I'm
> > wondering if there is a good way to check to see how many ptys are
> > available on a system like SCO. Or would this be a bad idea ?
>
> Is there a system call, etc that can be used to check this?

Not that I know of.  Usually programs just loop, trying to find the first
free one, and abort after the maximum number of ptys.

To abort the loop after the total number of ptys are run out, one could
check whether the /dev/ttyp* device node exists - if not, no use in
looking further.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de