Snapshot

Aran Cox acox at cv.telegroup.com
Thu Aug 31 00:33:51 EST 2000

Well, I think I have managed to make my problem disapear,
but first a little more background.  I'm currently under the
impression that the problems I've been having are related
to timing (does that qualify them as a race condition?) I could
*never* duplicate this problem while running sshd under the SCO
OS debugger.  Not once!  Also, I could almost always duplicate the
problem if I gave the server (SCO OS 5.0.5) running sshd something
else to do in the background (like a find invocation, or compressing
a large amount of data.)

After looking around the code for a while I saw the section on
USE_PIPES in session.c in the do_exec_no_pty.  Since my problem
was related to pipes, (the program is dying on SIGPIPE) I thought
I'd try defining USE_PIPES and recompiling.  Now I cannot
duplicate the SIGPIPE (signal 13) problem with an sshd compiled
with USE_PIPES.  Of course, I don't understand exactly why this
fixes my problem or if the solution is correct.

I'll include the output of sshd -d for a successful run and
an unsuccessful one.  I was usually invoking ssh like so:
ssh -n -l root host ls -ld .

My system is i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.5.

I can understand why it's undesirable to apply a patch to
fix a problem that only one person can duplicate, so hopefully
this info will be useful to someone who can give me a clue
where to look next.  Has anyone really tried running SCO OS
5.0.5 as an sshd server and using the -n switch from the client
side?  It would make me feel less insane if someone would
try (possibly with a little load on the server since
that seems to make the problem occur more frequently) running
ssh -n host ls -ld . in a loop and seeing if they see any

Received disconnect: Command terminated on signal 13.

error messages.

cheers!