Problem talking to SSH 2.3.0 server

marekm at diament.ists.pwr.wroc.pl marekm at diament.ists.pwr.wroc.pl
Fri Dec 1 02:41:34 EST 2000

I'd like to report a problem I found with the OpenSSH client talking
to the SSH 2.3.0 server.

client: i686-pc-linux (Debian 2.2, kernel 2.2.18pre19, glibc-2.1.3),
	SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
	(built by me from source, but the same problem occurs with
	ssh_2.2.0p1-1.1 as shipped with Debian 2.2).

server: sparc-sun-solaris2.7,
	SSH-2.0-2.3.0 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)

Problem: some time after logging into the server (few minutes to few
hours, happens even if the session is mostly idle), I get this error
message:

Hm, dispatch protocol error: type 20 plen 136

and no more data can be received from the server (the other direction
appears to be OK - the server gets the commands I type, but I can't see
them echoed back).  The ~. escape closes the connection as it should.

Thanks,
Marek

PS.  Yes, I will try to convince the admin of that server to install
OpenSSH instead.