Pseudo-tty allocation and -T option

Rob Hagopian rob at hagopian.net
Fri Dec 1 07:28:19 EST 2000

FreeBSD has a method of setting a user's password that may be applicable
(from 'man pw'):

 -h fd     This option provides a special interface by which  interac-
           tive scripts can set an account password using pw. Because
           the command line and environment are fundamentally insecure
           mechanisms by which programs can accept information, pw
           will only allow setting of account and group passwords via
           a file descriptor (usually a pipe between an interactive
           script and the program).  sh, bash, ksh and perl all pos-
           sess mechanisms by which this can be done.  Alternatively,
           pw will prompt for the user's password if `-h 0' is given,
           nominating stdin as the file descriptor on which to read
           the password.  Note that this password will be read only
           once and is intended for use by a script rather than for
           interactive use.  If you wish to have new password confir-
           mation along the lines of passwd(1),  this must be imple-
           mented as part of an interactive script that calls pw.

           If a value of `-' is given as the argument fd, then the
           password will be set to `*', rendering the account inacces-
           sible via password-based login.

This can be used from a sh script as:

pw useradd -n prod -u 1002 -c "User Account" -m -h 3 3< prodpass

Just make sure that prodpass is owned by root and has 600 perms...

I'm not a fan of storing passwords like this, but I don't see how it's
much more insecure than having a private RSA/DSA key with no encryption
(as long as this plaintext password is not used anywhere else)...
								-Rob