OpenSSH, Kth kerberos, and Digital Unix

Jan IVEN Jan.Iven at cern.ch
Fri Dec 15 02:23:32 EST 2000

 KS> I've compiled OpenSSH 2.3.0p1 with Kerberos 4 from Kth (1.0.4).  We use AFS
 KS> heavily and need the AFS token passing features.  This combo is working
 KS> great on Irix and NetBSD/{alpha,i386}, but it's dying on Digital Unix (4.0f
 KS> and 5.0).

 KS> "ssh -v hostname" dumps core in des_pcbc_encrypt() after "Trying Kerberos
 KS> authentication".  My suspicion is that the des routines from OpenSSL and
 KS> Kerberos are getting confused by the linker, but I'm not sure how to test
 KS> that or fix it.

 KS> Has anyone seen this before?  Any suggestions?

We have trouble with the self-test for DES from openssl-0.9.6 on
Digital boxes (OSF1 refdux40f V4.0 1229 alpha). The tests produce lots
of "unaligned access" errors and all of them fail (despite being
converted transparently). If you have "uac noprint sigbus" on your
machine, this might be the same problem in disguise?

Best regards
Jan