Could this autogen.sh script be added?

Mo DeJong mdejong at cygnus.com
Fri Dec 15 05:47:14 EST 2000

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Damien Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Mo DeJong wrote:
>
> > Could someone add this autogen.sh script to the
> > toplevel of openssh_cvs?
>
> Most autogen.sh scripts I have seen do a "./configure $*" as well - or
> am I mistaken?

You are not mistaken, it is the authors of some autogen.sh
scripts that are mistaken. It is an error to actually call
./configure from inside an automake.sh script because the
user may not want to build in the srcdir.

For example, I might want to run:

mkdir build_openssh ; cd build_openssh
../openssh_cvs/configure
make

If I download the CVS and then run ./autogen.sh and it
goes ahead and runs ./configure in the srcdir, I
would be very miffed.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc