scp without permitting shell access, possible?

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Fri Dec 15 14:29:11 EST 2000

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Jos Backus wrote:

> [My apologies if this question is deemed inappropriate for this list.]
>
> Using OpenSSH, is it possible for a program/script to copy files with known
> filenames from a remote server (running sshd), without allowing (interactive)
> ssh access to that server? I.e. ``ssh server ls'' or ``ssh server'' should not
> be possible (for security reasons), but ``scp server:file .'' should.

I don't see how you can do such a thing without changing how scp
works. (Which is scp would no longer spawn the user's interactive shell,
but either spawn /bin/sh w/ no .*rc files.)

I'd have to test it.. but you may be able to pull it off with
sftp-server.  But I am not up on my 'subsystem' definations of SSH2.

- Ben