Even more secure FTP?

Peter van der Landen peter at vanderlanden.nl
Fri Dec 15 19:55:26 EST 2000

L.S,

I was very happy to find that OpenSSH 2.3.0 now has server support for F-Secure's Win32 FTP client.

A problem I have run into a few times (and maybe others before me) is:

I want to allow technically unsophisticated users to update their web pages without having to resort to running something like wu-ftpd on my system. SFTPD is a great solution for that since even a casual user can understand it's user interface (The Win32 scp client is not an acceptable solution in this case).

SFTPD still leaves me with a few items on my wishlist that could be solved on the server side:

- I would prefer it if some users would be limited to SFTP access and not be allowed ssh interactive access or scp. (this is similar to Jos Backus' request posted earlier on this list).

- It would be great if a user using SFTP could (optionally and configurable per user) be chrooted to his homedirectory (or some other directory).

Any chance of implementing this?

Regards,
Peter