OpenSSH 2.3.0p1: Problem with the init script in the RPM

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sat Dec 16 05:09:45 EST 2000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Sergey Vlasov wrote:
> There is a problem in the contrib/redhat/sshd.init script: it starts
> sshd without specifying the full path (/usr/bin/sshd for the RPM
> installation). The daemon starts up and works, but dies when it receives
> a SIGHUP, because it is unable to re-exec itself without the full path.

This has been noted before (by me, at least).

The problem is that sshd might not always be in /usr/sbin; for example,
if you redefine %{_prefix} in your rpm macros to make all RPM's go under
/usr/local (as a company policy, for example..), the script won't work.

These people are a small minority, though.  The change would be good for
most people, but it might create problems for others.

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                      not those you stumble over and fall"