scp remote path specification

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Dec 20 17:34:54 EST 2000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Frank Tobin wrote:

> mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org, at 21:08 -0600 on Tue, 19 Dec 2000, wrote:
>
>     Is it supose to work?   Doing the above style scp on 1.2.x ssh.com version
>     spits back "User Abort!" since the final resting spot of the file is not
>     local.
>
> I'll quote from the scp manpage (ssh version 2.2.0)
>
>     Any file name may contain a host and user specification to
>     indicate that the file is to be copied to/from that host.  Copies
>     between two remote hosts are permitted.
>
> rcp, similiarly:
>
>     Rcp copies files between machines.  Each file or directory
>     argument is either a remote file name of the form
>     ``rname at rhost:path'', or a local file name (containing no `:'
>     characters, or a `/' before any `:'s).

Actually.. taking a closer look at rcp.c from OpenBSD source.  scp is
doing the right thing.  However the right thing requires that scp final
remote host (SiteB) not prompt for a password.

One can mimic what you expect by doing:

ssh -t SiteA "scp file SiteB:file2"

As for a direct scp fix.  I don't see a quick thirty second "Duh" fix.

- Ben