'debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10' messages

Hank Leininger openssh-unix-dev at progressive-comp.com
Wed Dec 27 23:02:37 EST 2000

Since 2.4 is approaching, I'll raise a question that's been bugging me...

I prefer to run all my sshd's with LogLevel DEBUG.  I'm just a paranoid
control freak ;)  Anyway, for as long as I can remember openssh's sshd
spits out 'tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10' (or very minor variations) continuously
when LogLevel DEBUG is used.  Looking at serverloop.c it looks like this
prints (at least) every time sshd reads some data from STDERR of a process.
It's been mentioned often on this list, but always tangentially, so I don't
think anyone's ever focused attention on this.  I've just been patching
that out (completely, or suppressing the log entry unless child_terminated
> 0).  I'd like to request that someone who knows (and/or, wrote to begin
with? :) this code (serverloop.c:258 in 2.3.0p1) take a look and see if
it's really necessary.  Otherwise it generates useless chatter between sshd
and syslogd, causes unnecessary context switches, and of course scribbles
useless stuff to disk.   At the very least, could these be changed to
debug2 or debug3 so that it's disabled for not-really-that-verbose DEBUG
LogLevels?

Thanks,

Hank Leininger <hlein at progressive-comp.com>