problem report about installation of OpenSSH

John Landstreet jlandstr at astro.uwo.ca
Wed Dec 27 11:15:53 EST 2000

Hello

I apologise for sending this in in no particular format, but I do not have
"sendbug" on my machine.

I have just downloaded openssh-2.3.0p1 for installation on my Slackware
3.4 Linux OS (running on a Compaq Armada 1540DM laptop with a 150 MHz
Pentium). As instructed, I also obtained and installed zlib-1.1.3 and
openssl-0.9.6. Both unpacked, compiled, and installed without apparent
problems, using gcc version 2.7.2.3 and GNU Make version 3.76.1.

When I ran ./configure for OpenSSH, it did not appear to have any problem,
and offered the following report:
OpenSSH configured has been configured with the following options.
                 User binaries: /usr/local/bin
                 User binaries: /usr/local/bin
               System binaries: /usr/local/sbin
           Configuration files: /usr/local/etc
               Askpass program: /usr/local/libexec/ssh-askpass
                  Manual pages: /usr/local/man/manX
                      PID file: /var/run
      Random number collection: Device (/dev/urandom)
                Manpage format: man
                   PAM support: no
            KerberosIV support: no
                   AFS support: no
                 S/KEY support: no
          TCP Wrappers support: no
          MD5 password support: no
   IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
      Use IPv4 by default hack: no
       Translate v4 in v6 hack: yes

             Host: i586-pc-linux-gnu
         Compiler: gcc
   Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall -I. -I. -I/usr/local/ssl/include
     Linker flags:  -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/ssl
        Libraries: -lz  -lbsd -lcrypto

However, when I try to compile with make, the make does not work, with the
following message:
/usr/local/src/openssh-2.3.0p1>make

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -I. -I. -I/usr/local/ssl/include
-DETCDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -DSSH_PROGRAM=\"/usr/local/bin/ssh\" -DSSH_ASKPASS_DEFAULT=\"/usr/local/libexec/ssh-askpass\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-c bsd-base64.c -o bsd-base64.o
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
make: *** [bsd-base64.o] Error 1

I do not know what to try next. I have looked over the FAQ file for
OpenSSH, as well as the README and the INSTALL files, and none of the
comments seem to be relevant. I would be most grateful for any suggestions
you could make about how to proceed from here.

Thanks very much.

Yours sincerely, John Landstreet

                        Prof. John D. Landstreet
         Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Univ. of Western Ontario
  (519) 661-2111 ext 86707 (me), 661-3183 (dept. office), 661-2033 (fax)
               WWW: http://phobos.astro.uwo.ca/~jlandstr