scp doesn't have a 'Use non privileged port' switch

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Dec 28 08:19:39 EST 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Christian Kurz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> and another feature request that I got from a debian user and that I
> think should be included in openssh. Thanks.
>
> |Unlike the 'old' ssh (Package: ssh; Version: 1.2.26-1.2)'s scp
> |openssh's scp does not support the -L option which according to
> |old ssh's manpage does the following:
>
> |>        -L    Use non privileged port. With this  you  cannot  use
> |>              rhosts   or rsarhosts authentications, but it can be
> |>              used to bypass some firewalls that dont allow privi­
> |>              leged  source  ports  to  pass.  Same  as saying "-o
> |>              UsePriviledgePort=no" or -P to ssh; -L is  used  due
> |>              to exhaustion of suitable letters.

As mentioned, use 'scp -o "UsePrivilegedPort=no"' or add the option to
ssh_config or .ssh/config.

IIRC there's no intention of bloating scp with all kinds of options when
you can pass them directly to ssh with -o (this was the argument with scp
-2 option, at least).

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                      not those you stumble over and fall"