PAM configuration (HP-UX pam)

Kevin Steves stevesk at pobox.com
Thu Dec 28 14:33:18 EST 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Alan Millar wrote:
: FWIW, HP-UX 11.0 uses pam, included as part of the OS from HP.  I don't
: know how far it varies from the current Linux or Solaris pam
: implementations.  Not being very versed in pam myself, it appears to me
: that it matches Solaris pam a little closer than Linux, definitely
: compared to current Linux work.    In compiling mod_auth_pam for Apache
: on HP-UX 11.0, a few ifdef's were needed that matched the Solaris ones.
:
: HP-UX 11 uses /etc/pam.conf.   The pam_cracklib, pam_nologin and
: pam_limits modules are not included with the HP distribution.  I have
: not looked into whether people are adding them after-the-fact or not.
:
: I have heard that some people [are attempting to?] use Linux pam ported
: to HP-UX 10.20, which didn't have universal pam support from HP, but I
: don't know any details.
:
: For better or for worse, if the OpenSSH install looks for /etc/pam.d, it
: will bypass any HP-UX 11.0 compatibility issues :-)

when i asked i was told that hp pam was originally ported from sun code,
presumably for 10.0.  10.X had limited pam support, which was used by
CDE.  11.X supports the pam api for other applications and pam is used
by the standard login services (login, ftpd, su, etc).

sshd works out-of-the-box on 11.X with pam via the ``other'' service
entries in the default /etc/pam.conf.