OpenSSH 2.4.0 patch call..

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Sat Dec 30 04:10:02 EST 2000

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 10:49:09AM -0600, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Lutz Jaenicke wrote:
> When I did the patch to split CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS I had not tested it on
> my NeXT box.. and I'm running into the same issue.  However it's worse
> under NeXT.  'configure' fails because CPPFLAGS are not being honored from
> the start.
>
> So I'm not sure if it's make or the cc compiler.

This question is easily to be answered :-)
The cc compiler does not give anything about ENVIRONMENT variables being
set or not. Different incarnations of "make" will automatically take into
account a different set of environment variables. The HP-UX make e.g.
will take into account CC and CFLAGS and will automatically use a
general rule to compile C programs to objects:
           .c.o:
               $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $<
Hence, "make" will automatically honor CC and CFLAGS but no other
flags will be recognized, especially not CPPFLAGS.
Since the common set of rules between "make" programs may not be the same,
the safest way should be to include the rule into Makefile(.in)
	.c.o:
		$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) -c $<
This way it should work for all platforms.
(Another commonly used way is to start in Makefile with something like
CFLAGS= $(CFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) or similar.)

I have not yet checked "configure" into detail, but for me it seems that
CPPFLAGS are being recognized and are used to record -Include path directives.

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/