openssl lib question.

Sunil K. Vallamkonda sunil at redback.com
Sat Dec 30 06:48:07 EST 2000

Hello,

I am trying to use openssh with openssl lib on
NetBSD.  I am not a security expert, thus sending
this email to the list. I am not looking for
legal advice (which I will contact lawyer), but looking
to get general info on what algorithms (such as RC5 etc..)
in openssl are used by openssh that may need legal attention.
And what are the alternatives ?

I see that openssl has some patent issues. It
has many ciphers and algorithms:

BF_cbc_encrypt, BF_decrypt, BF_encrypt, CAST_cbc_encrypt,
         CAST_decrypt, CAST_encrypt, RC4, RC5_32_cbc_encrypt,
RC5_32_decrypt,
         RC5_32_encrypt, bn_add_words, bn_div_words, bn_mul_add_words,
         bn_mul_comba4, bn_mul_comba8, bn_mul_words, bn_sqr_comba4,
         bn_sqr_comba8, bn_sqr_words, bn_sub_words, des_decrypt3,
         des_ede3_cbc_encrypt, des_encrypt, des_encrypt2, des_encrypt3,
         des_ncbc_encrypt, md5_block_asm_host_order,
sha1_block_asm_data_order

Which of above are legal contenders ?
Are BSAFE/RSAREF part of above ?

Any information/pointers is appreciated.

Thank you.

Sunil.