EGD requirement a show stopper for me

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Feb 2 08:08:06 EST 2000

Yo All!

A archive of the discussions on /dev/random from the linux-ipsec
and coderpunks mailing lists is at:
	http://www.openpgp.net/random/index.html

They have already covered this territory at length.

There is also the source to a linux kernel /dev/random on that
website and in it's doc the recommendation is made to save the entropy.

I think the end result was that it was best to save what entropy
that you had between sessions.    Since this saved entropy should
just be stirred in with whatever new entropy you can find, then
you should never be worse off even if the old entropy is compromised.

RGDS
GARY

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Andre Lucas wrote:

> I'm no authority of any kind on PRNG implementations or the software
> you've listed. So this is just a barely educated opinion. I think it's a
> good thing to save the random seed, as if you have confidence in your
> PRNG it's a good random value with which to initialise the generator.
> Since my understanding is that good entropy is hard to find(tm), why
> waste it?

Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676