server-side scp strangeness on linux

Igor Grabin dem0n at istc.kiev.ua
Mon Feb 14 05:16:48 EST 2000

Hiya,

[if this is a known issue/misconfiguration, please direct me to the right
fm :-); if this is a wrong place to ask, please tell me the right one]

I'm using the linux port of openssh-1.2.2.
The issue is that server-side scp doesn't work:

 scp somefile me at myhost:
seems to take forever, and does nothing.
sshd -d shows that scp -t somefile is being invoked on server side, and
stays running long enough to get me bored.

 scp me at myhost:somefile .
prints:
C<perms> <filesize> somefile
...and exits. no file copied.
sshd -d also shows that scp -f somefile is being invoked on server side,
exit status 1

ssh_config and sshd_config files are the default ones... I may post them
if that matters. scp -v didn't reveal anything real useful, at least for
me. scp with server being sshv1 did work.

I compiled the whole thing from source, the configure line was:
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --with-tcp-wrappers --with-ipv4-default
--with-default-path="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin"
--with-pid-dir=/var/run
System is rh-5.2 based, default compiler (gcc-2.7.2.3), default libc.
The kernel is 2.0.38, patched with Andrea Arcangeli's 'ping -R' patch,
and latest Solar Designer's patch, all of its options being active.

If that issue requires some feedback/debugging from me, I am willing to do
it.

tia,
--
Igor Grabin alias CacoDem0n[GOD]