Binding ssh to priviledged port breaks rule (port < 1024 => system service)

Ola Sigurdson Ola at Sigurdson.SE
Tue Feb 15 00:49:14 EST 2000

Well, yes I know how to turn it off.

What I'm saying is that suid should be turned off by default as it will
cause problems for a large subset of sites who only want to use ssh as a
secure telnet replacement.

(If you want to allow automatic logins without passwords you anyway have
some serious thinking and configuration to do. Turning on the suid bit
is not that big a deal in that case. From ssh.1: /etc/hosts.equiv,
.rhosts, and the rlogin/rsh protocol in general, are inherently insecure
and should be disabled if security is desired. )