ssh Error

Chad Netzer cnetzer at Stanford.EDU
Fri Feb 18 13:20:39 EST 2000

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 08:45:28PM -0500, Nazar Kulynych wrote:
> ssh -l user host
> ssh_exchange_identification: read: Address already in use
>
> this is what I get when I try to login.
> what is it, what does it mean?

This is the same as error as I got when the remote host was
refusing "sshd" logins.  The read() call fails in sshconnect.c
with this (or wierder) messages. If the daemon was compiled with
LIBWRAP, make sure it allows sshd (ie. if your hosts.deny
is set to deny everything by default, you must enable sshd.
Enabling rshd won't work in this case.)

ie.  (in /etc/hosts.allow):
sshd       : hostname.at.domain : ALLOW

I brought this up recently, and this is another case of the
strange diagnostic messages that occur due to using LIBWRAP.

If I get time this weekend, I'll code and submit a patch to
make the diagnostic a bit clearer.

Chad Netzer
cnetzer at stanford.edu