OpenSSH doesn't compile under Solaris 2.3 Sparc

Ben Taylor bent at clark.net
Tue Feb 22 08:35:47 EST 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Jack Barnett wrote:

> > On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Jack Barnett wrote:
> >
> > If it's in the BSD compatibility libraries, you may have to link
> > against the libaries in /usr/ucblib.  Do a /usr/ccs/bin/nm on the
> > libraries in /usr/ucblib and see if getpagesize pops out.
>
> --host-->/usr/ccs/bin/nm /usr/ucblib/* | grep -i page
> Symbols from /usr/ucblib/libucb.a[getpagesize.o]:
> [1]     |         0|       0|FILE |LOCL |0    |ABS    |getpagesize.c
> [8]     |         0|      16|FUNC |GLOB |0    |2      |getpagesize
> [136]   |         0|       0|FILE |LOCL |0    |ABS    |getpagesize.c
> [304]   |     31132|      16|FUNC |GLOB |0    |8      |getpagesize
> [136]   |         0|       0|FILE |LOCL |0    |ABS    |getpagesize.c
>
> Looks like it is there.

Yep.

> > If so,
> > you'll need to add a -L/usr/ucblib to the end of the compile line
> > so you don't end up with any other functions in that library.
>
> Ok you are going to have to slow down a bit, I am not a programmer.  Passing
> that to ./configure or make breaks them with an error.  If I ./configure
> like normal then edit the Makefile by hand it gives the error

try doing the configure with "env LDFLAGS="-L/usr/ucblib" ./configure ..."

> --host~/open/openssh-1.2.2 -->make
> Makefile:38: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
> Even if the only thing I do is open the file in vi or pico, hit enter,
> backspace then exist and save the file (Basically doing nothing but changing
> the modification date) it will trip the above error on me.  I tried putting
> it under cflags and ldpath and it gives the same error.  I don't know how I
> am supose to edit the file if the slightest thing causes it to barf.

Weird.  I've munged the Makefile before, and only problem I ever had was
trying to build a Solaris package from the makefile.  I gave up in
frustration.

Did you try adding "-L/usr/ucblib" to the end of the LDFLAGS in the
Makefile. That should do it for you since I don't think there's a shared
library version in the /usr/ucblib directory.

Hope this helps.

Ben