using gkermit with ssh (wishlist item)

Damian Gryski dgryski at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jan 14 03:48:56 EST 2000

   I've been toying with the idea of using gkermit
over an ssh connection.  As it stands, gkermit is essentially
featureless, a GPL kermit implementation that's enough to
get the Free software advocated off their backs.  However,
since they want to continue to sell C-Kermit, it has all
the `useful' features, such as scripting, but more importantly
the ability to create a connection over which to transfer files.

   That's where ssh comes in.  Since gkermit has no interactive
mode, only a command line interface, the only way to use it
with ssh would be in a command like:

   gkermit -s hello.c |ssh user at host gkermit -r

   But what if I'm connecting to a telnet (or, more precisly,
ssh) BBS?  What if I want to use ZModem instead of kermit?
I think a useful feature of ssh would to be able to replace
the current input/output stream with that of a spawned
programs, returning i/o control to the tty once the program
exits.

   I envision a new escape sequence, like ~| or something,
that would send all input from the remote machine to a
program, and spit all output from the program back to the
remote machine.

   I am going to try and code this, 'cause I think it would
be fun.  I'm looking for any suggestions, or pointers
on how to go about implementing this (or reasons why
I shouldn't -- yes, I already know about scp...).

   Thanks,

   Damian

--
Damian Gryski ==> dgryski at uwaterloo.ca | Linux, the choice of a GNU generation
512 pt Hacker Test score = 37%         | 500 pt Nerd Test score = 56%