AIX- 'Host not found' in getaddrinfo("0.0.0.0", "22" , ...)

David Rankin drankin at bohemians.lexington.ky.us
Wed Jan 19 01:49:29 EST 2000

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 11:33:12AM +0100, "Petersen, Jörg" wrote:
> Hello,
>    while openssh-1.2.1pre25 ran out-of-the box, in openssh-1.2.1pre27 the
> sshd fails to start with: "Host not found" returned...
> (gcc 2.9.5.2 under AIX 4.3.2 ML 2)

> Incompatibility of AIX-getaddrinfo ????
> Since I'm not familiar with getaddrinfo, I've got no idea what goes wrong
> ??? Does the code below work on other architectures?

Accepting "0.0.0.0" is a hack, not a "standard behaviour" for UNIX-like
OSes. I know that NetBSD has become less accepting of 0.0.0.0 as an
"all addresses" alias.

Is ListenAddress 0.0.0.0 a no-op? It looks like it is, but I don't have
a multi-interface machine on which I can check. If it's not, then maybe
we need to make people specify all ListenAddress'es or maybe we need to
let the default be to listen on all addresses unless a ListenAddress is
specified, and then it won't listen to any other source address.

David

--
David W. Rankin, Jr.     Husband, Father, and UNIX Sysadmin.
   Email: drankin at bohemians.lexington.ky.us   Address/Phone Number: Ask me.