SSH problems ...

Marc G. Fournier marc.fournier at acadiau.ca
Wed Jan 19 04:55:25 EST 2000

Okay, we think we've resolved them all now *wipe brow*

There were two outstanding problems...

Problem 1:

The config file has two directives in it:

IgnoreRhosts
RhostsAuthentication

Without realizing it, even though I had IgnoreRhosts set to 'no',
RhostsAuthentication was set to 'no' also, so it didn't matter ...

This appears to fix the authentication issue of last week :(

Problem 2:

A regular user can't ssh to another users account on a remote server
without a password ... the .rhosts file on the remote server granted
permission, but it wouldn't work.

Thanks to one of the guys on the list, for pointing out the 'reserved
port' issue, I checked my FreeBSD machine's install of OpenSSH and noticed
that both ssh and scp are set 4555, vs 755 on the Solaris machine.  It
appears that the OpenSSH distribution doesn't set this, which is what
caused that problem ...

So far, it appears that both are fixed ... Problem 2, I think, needs to be
fixed in 'make install' of the distribution though ...

Marc G. Fournier                                 marc.fournier at acadiau.ca
Senior Systems Administrator                            Acadia University

  "These are my opinions, which are not necessarily shared by my employer"