Origin of directory /usr/slocal?

Christopher Linn celinn at mtu.edu
Thu Jan 27 05:22:15 EST 2000

marc,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 09:13:03AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
[...]
> Curious as to where that creeped into one of my patches though :(

WHOA!

no, it did NOT creep into any patches!  sorry about that!

i grepped my mail (for "slocal") and found:

# refs	Subject: line
------	------------------------------------------
1       Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: openssh-1.2.1pre18
1       Subject: more problems with solaris 7?
7       Subject: quad_t: incompatible types in config.log:
1       Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: openssh-1.2.1pre24
3       Subject: Re: Ack...OpenSSH no longer compatible with SSH 1.2.26 clients?
1       Subject: LD_LIBRARY_PATH under Solaris issues ...

ALL these were references to compiler outputs of various sorts.
(i hope i didn't miss anything...)

i had just wondered if there were some cousin of /usr/local that had been
adopted by someone somewhere.  we have an NFS mounted /usr/local here,
and of course we mount it "nosuid" and also do not have it in root's
PATH.  we have another /some/arbitrary/site/path on each local disk
for the very few programs which we need in root's PATH, and this is
what i thought /usr/slocal ("secure/sysadm" local?) might have been.

> Sorry about that ...

no problem!  thanks for responding!  ;*)

chris

--
Christopher Linn             <celinn at mtu.edu>       Staff System Administrator
Center for Experimental Computation          Michigan Technological University