EGD requirement a show stopper for me

Ben Lindstrom mouring at pconline.com
Sat Jan 29 03:53:28 EST 2000

I've not looked at the source for where random number generation is
needed, but where in the SSH process are they need.

I can see it needed on connection with a new machine to generate your
keys, and I could see another call on each connection afterwards.

Would it cost to much to use something like what Stronghold does
for it's key generation (entering a random amount of keystrokes) for
the primary key, then use a simpiler random number generator for
each connection afterwards?

Granted it would not be as strong as /dev/random or /dev/urandom, but
could be a ./configure option for platforms that don't support
them nor sites that can assure to have egd.  (Sounds like someone
is working on this.)