ssh-1.2.2 freeze under Linux

Craig J Copi cjc5 at po.cwru.edu
Sun Jan 30 10:00:57 EST 2000

After compiling and installing ssh-1.2.2 at home whenever I try to ssh
to a host ssh freezes and never actually tries to establish a
connection.  Actually it depends on whether I'm dialed in or not
(it has to do with dns lookups, I'm not sure exactly what it is
doing).  The problem seems to be caused by getaddrinfo in ssh.c,
line 511.  If I strace the process it keeps trying to connect to my
dns server to resolve the name.  If I use the full host name (or
if I'm dialed in) it claims
Secure connection to full.host.name refused.
However, no connection attempt is logged on the remote machine.

I am using RH6.0 with kernel 2.2.14 and glibc-2.1.1-6.   getaddrinfo
is detected by configure (it is in glibc) so that version is used.
If, by hand, I insert into config.h
#define BROKEN_GETADDRINFO 1
then it seems to connect fine.  I don't seem to have any information
on what getaddrinfo is suppose to do (neither man page nor in glibc
info) so I don't know why it isn't working (such as it might not like
something in hints).

I noticed a similar problem with 1.2pre27 but didn't have time to
look into it until now.

	Craig

Craig J Copi                     |  cjc5 at po.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University  |  http://erebus.phys.cwru.edu/~copi/
Department of Physics            |  (216) 368-8831