openssh-2.1.1p2 problem and fix

Darren Evans darren at horseplay.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 2 09:30:04 EST 2000

HI all,

well after some messing around, I have come a lot closer.

It appears to be a kernel issue/bug with linux-2.4.0-test1.

I upgraded to linux-2.4.0-test2 with both of these configure options and sshd/ssh worked.
What has changed in the kernels i'll leave to someone else to figure out :-)

OpenSSH configured has been configured with the following options.
                 User binaries: /usr/local/bin
               System binaries: /usr/local/sbin
           Configuration files: /usr/local/etc
               Askpass program: /usr/local/libexec/ssh/ssh-askpass
                  Manual pages: /usr/local/man/manX
                      PID file: /var/run
      Random number collection: Device (/dev/urandom)
                Manpage format: man
                   PAM support: yes
            KerberosIV support: no
                   AFS support: no
                 S/KEY support: no
          TCP Wrappers support: no
          MD5 password support: no
   IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
      Use IPv4 by default hack: no
       Translate v4 in v6 hack: yes

Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/ssl/include
Linker flags:  -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/ssl
Libraries: -ldl -lnsl -lz  -lutil -lpam -lcrypto

And with these options.

OpenSSH configured has been configured with the following options.
                 User binaries: /usr/local/bin
               System binaries: /usr/local/sbin
           Configuration files: /usr/local/etc
               Askpass program: /usr/local/libexec/ssh/ssh-askpass
                  Manual pages: /usr/local/man/manX
                      PID file: /var/run
      Random number collection: Device (/dev/urandom)
                Manpage format: man
                   PAM support: yes
            KerberosIV support: no
                   AFS support: no
                 S/KEY support: no
          TCP Wrappers support: yes
          MD5 password support: yes
   IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
      Use IPv4 by default hack: yes
       Translate v4 in v6 hack: yes

Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/ssl/include
Linker flags:  -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/ssl
Libraries: -ldl -lnsl -lz  -lutil -lpam -lcrypto  -lwrap

As I say both worked ...

regards
Darren

At 15:31 01/07/00 -0500, Ben Lindstrom wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Darren Evans wrote:
>
>> sh configure --with-tcp-wrappers --with-md5-passwords --with-ipv4-default --with-pam
>>
>I just did ./configure and let it figure everything out.
>
>No /etc/pam.d/sshd  (Which means pam should default to standard rules)
>
>> /etc/pam.d/sshd
>[..]
>Mine is the default sshd rules provide in the contrib/ section.
>(Which is almost the same except for the "account    required
>/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so" line
>
>> ident /usr/local/sbin/sshd | grep -i pam
>>
>> Does not find pam.
>>
>I don't have ident installed, but strings /opt/openssh/sbin/sshd | grep -i
>pam  show a good 12 lines the last one being the ident:
>
>@(#)$Id: auth-pam.c,v 1.8 2000/06/22 11:44:54 djm Exp $
>
>[..]
>> I've also had odd problems with openssh-2.1.1p1.tar.gz on FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE,
>> maybe i'll go into that one another day as my memory is hazy at the moment.
>>
>> My configuration files are the standard ones when installed.
>>
>> When I set the link back on /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-2.2.12 and
>> recompiled openssh **sshd actually worked**.
>>
>> Also note that when sshd was run under Linux-2.4.0-test1 but recompiled
>> under 2.2.12 it **ran as expected**.
>>
>ermm.. This is interesting.. Since I've been runnning the whole gambit
>of kernels (from the late 2.3.x kernels) and I've not seen this problem.
>
>Have you set OpenSSH's configure decide on your configuration options
>instead of forcing which ones it should pick?
>
>Ben Lindstrom

---