scp host 2 host error

Willard Dawson willard.dawson at sbs.siemens.com
Tue Jul 11 11:38:09 EST 2000

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 09:47:39AM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Ed Eden wrote:
>

> > scp host1:z host2:z
> >
> > after I enter password and press return, I get:
> >
> > You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read passphrase.
>
> What are the permissions of /dev/tty? They should be 0666.

In the other ssh, this means that host2 does not accept your
credentials, and is in the position of asking for a password/passphrase.
That is, if you ssh first to host1, and then try to either ssh or scp
from there to host2, you'll see an interaction.  Since there is no
controlling tty when doing dereferenced scp's (as above), the process
fails.

Perhaps it's time for you to try ssh-agent, along with installing the
authorized_keys on affected servers.

--
Willard Francis Otto Dawson      +1 770 814 5099 / +1 770 814 5202 FAX
Siemens Business Services, ENS   mailto:willard.dawson at sbs.siemens.com
4570 River Green Pkwy, Ste 140   http://www.sbs.siemens.com/
Duluth, GA  30096-2564           Standard disclaimer applies.