fatal: Not enough entropy in RNG

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Fri Jul 21 03:25:42 EST 2000

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 10:12:39AM -0700, dabe_spam at excite.com wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm running openssh 2.1.1p4 on Solaris 7 (sparc).  Occationally, when I
> boot up the server, the startup script I wrote to start sshd fails to start
> sshd with the following error:
> fatal: Not enough entropy in RNG
>
> What am I doing wrong??
> Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
> Is just restarting sshd a valid thing to do??

What kind of entropy source did you select? EGD or the integrated
entropy collector? (If you did not select one, the integrated collector
should be configured)

EGD can be drained and then an upstarting sshd can fail. I have written
my own prngd to come around this problem (early alpha stage :-) on HP-UX.
The integrated entropy collector should better not fail...

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/