fatal: Not enough entropy in RNG

dabe_spam at excite.com dabe_spam at excite.com
Fri Jul 21 07:16:28 EST 2000

>On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 10:12:39AM -0700, dabe_spam at excite.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I'm running openssh 2.1.1p4 on Solaris 7 (sparc).  Occationally, when
>> boot up the server, the startup script I wrote to start sshd fails to
start
>> sshd with the following error:
>> fatal: Not enough entropy in RNG
>>
>> What am I doing wrong??
>> Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
>> Is just restarting sshd a valid thing to do??

>What kind of entropy source did you select? EGD or the integrated
>entropy collector? (If you did not select one, the integrated >collector
>should be configured)

I did not specifically select an entropy source, so it sounds like I got the
integrated one.

>EGD can be drained and then an upstarting sshd can fail. I have >written
>my own prngd to come around this problem (early alpha stage :-) on >HP-UX.
>The integrated entropy collector should better not fail...

Well, it looks like I'm just lucky today.   Since it looks like the
integrated entropy collector has failed, what are my options?

I don't know much about openssh and openssl, but it looks like maybe I need
to change the configuration in ssh_prng_cmds to give it more stuff to pull
from.

Do I have any other options to get the integrated entropy collector to work
reliably??

>Best regards,
>	Lutz
>--